Friday, November 21

The Soap Factory

It's been a while since I updated. A million things have happened, most of which I probably should have written about. But instead of boring cyberspace with a long list of the recent events in my life, I'll just stick with today.

I have mixed feelings about this post, since it's about my business. I think I've mentioned my business only a few times before, and even though I'm fine with other people writing about businesses on their blogs, I shy away from that kind of thing on mine. But there are a couple of people who read this who wil probably care, so I'm writing it. ;)

I just opened a retail store in Provo.

Ironically (given the context of same-sex attraction and gay stereotypes), it's a make-your-own bath & beauty store.

My company (Nature's Fusions) needed a new location, and we've been scouting out places to rent for almost a year. Our first lease ended when a torrential rainfall poured through the ceiling, then through the floor, and we found endless wallboards completely packed with mold. Not really the place where you could make all-natural stuff with organic ingredients and no artificial preservatives. Yikes.

Thankfully the landlord let us out of the lease and a few months later we found a new spot that's more conducive to our needs.

Simultaneously, I had the desire to open my own business (yet again), but this time to teach people and enable them to create something useful and beautiful. Hence the vision for The Soap Factory. We provide the bases and raw ingredients, silicone molds, mix-ins, essential oils, and natural pigments to make soap, lotion, scrubs, and more. Everything is 5 cents/gram, with a lab fee that covers mix-ins and essential oils.

I was terrified that no one would come. I put my entire bank account into buying supplies for the store, choosing decor, and prepping for customers. We opened a little over a week ago.

And people came. Not a ton of people, but enough to make me feel like it was going to work out. Older couples who were out on a date. Young singles out with friends who made presents for Christmas. Families with little kids. A woman who simply bought unscented hand-made lotion and soap without mix-ins because that was what she needed.

We had some news coverage as well - I sent out press releases to a couple of locations (as did my brother) and two places have done stories thus far -

On CBS KUTV 2 News This Morning (TV):
http://www.kutv.com/news/features/2news-this-morning/stories/Saturday-November-15-2014-57788.shtml#.VG9qpom9Kc0

At the Daily Herald (print):
http://m.heraldextra.com/news/community/business/personalized-soap-and-scrub-business-opens-in-provo/article_90a4f544-ac3f-5264-bdf9-3169145e066e.html

We're having our grand opening this week, through Saturday the 22nd. Everyone who makes a purchase gets a free 15ml bottle of peppermint essential oil (retail $15), and half-off lab fees (usually $5/person).

As far as how this is affecting my life... Life is amazing. There are still huge issues to resolve, like how I can be a friend when I'm managing a store. How to better manage my time so I'm not a workaholic (as runs in my family). How to get enough people inside the store to break even and then (hopefully) make enough money to support myself and others. Or whether to introduce custom lip balms or lotion bars as our next product ;)

But seriously, it's made me smile a whole lot more. I didn't realize how much I missed helping and teaching people. Watching their eyes light up as they unmold a particularly beautiful soap. Helping customers choose a scent that their grandmother would like, or watching them laugh as they talk an hour or two away. And watching my brothers and best friend/employee have a blast helping people as well.

Hopefully The Soap Factory will be hugely successful, and I can open up more locations for people to make their own custom creations, or franchise, or whatever. For now though, I'm glad I had the courage to try, and the preparation from God to make it work. Having an MBA makes sense now when it didn't in the past... and I can make business decisions that actually help people have a better experience and a better life.

*sigh*

Now if only the rest of life were as simple.


*other info*

Nature's Fusions & The Soap Factory
1394 N Freedom Blvd, Provo, UT 84604
Open Mon-Sat 12-10

Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/thesoapfactoryprovo

Instagram: @soapfactoryprovo

Twitter: @make_soap

#make_soap

6 comments:

  1. Yea! I am in Salt Lake but will make a point to get down to Provo for this! Congratulations! This sort of place is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, and happy luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful entry and business. Glad to hear from you. Glad to know you're just a few minutes away from Salt Lake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, congrats on opening the store. It looks beautiful! I'm sorry I didn't know about it when I was in Provo a week ago.
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you posted about your business. And I love the store. I've had such good experiences when I've come in. My kids had so much fun, and you guys were so patient with them. I still need to bring my fourth one in for his turn. They alsonloved their soap and had so much fun using it. I was thrilled they actually got in the bath :). And I love my sugar scrub. No mor scraggly, cleaning hands for me :).

    I'm hlad that it has brought you so much happiness. I hope you have great success! I will send any business your way that I can :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well your company is still around. I guess that is a good sign.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Rules:

(G)MG is how I write to you. Commenting is one way to write to me.

If you want your comment published: No swearing, graphic content, name-calling of any kind, or outbound links to anything but official Church sites.

In addition, comments must be 100% relevant, funny, uplifting, helpful, friendly... well-written, concise, and true. Disparaging comments often don't meet those standards. Comments on (G)MG are personal notes to me, not part of a comment war. You are not entitled to have your ideas hosted on my personal blog. There are a zillion places for that, and only one (G)MG.

And I'd suggest writing your comment in Word and pasting it. That way Blogger won't eat it if it's over the word limit.